Tuesday, April 9, 2024

 I didn't know you but you were such huge influence on me in the process of being someone who found art and used their creativity to find a way out of their suffering and pain. Nevermind and In Utero are so great that they don't even just hold up, they have musically transcended beyond the decade they were crafted. All those awful conspiracies that surrounded your death haunting Courtney and all the vultures that wished she was the one who had died instead and even those in your circles who had turned on her as well, I'm glad she has outlived that time period. I hope you can see Frances has survived to be doing well. As the daughter of someone who also lost their father to suicide I hold a lot of space in my heart for her and Courtney. As someone who is a survivor of being intensely suicidal for years I always have a place inside me for you, along with the place where I hold onto your musical gifts and the moral political counsel you bestowed in a much more racist, sexist, homophobic time. It's been thirty years yet every few years since a new group of kids are wearing Nirvana shirts and head banging along to your words as well as those legendary yet forgotten Generation Xers. I think you got some of the Boomers too. Nirvana is still my favorite band. You were just a human not a rock god that you got written up into and despised, though the culture rightfully immortalizes you while now it's good at balancing that you were a person with some frailties, sensitivities, and talent more than the average earthling. 

Everyone still misses you and always will.